I like talk-radio. But sometimes, I don’t want to leave my car because I don’t want to miss what is on the radio. By the time, I find the station on my in-house stereo, I could be missing valuable parts of the conversation between the host and the guest.

Last night was one of those moments. I didn’t realize that I was listening to a radio broadcast that I had heard months back until I listened to the end, but it was worth a second and complete listen--even if I had to sit in a parked car for awhile.

The replayed conversation was between Dr. James Dobson and Kyle West (who at the time was 7). Kyle completely cracks me up in the conversation, and I laugh out loud. The way he tells stories is priceless, especially since he is 7 years old. What you can’t see on the radio, is the fact that Kyle has cerebral palsy. At the end of the commentary, Dr. Dobson says something like, “Kyle, how do you think God will use you in your life?” Kyle responds (from the best I can remember), “Why would God want to use me? I’m just a boy with cerebral palsy.”

At that moment, my heart breaks. But how many times have I thought the same thing about my own self. I don’t have cerebral palsy, but I have other things in my life I consider to be “disabilities.” As you listen, you want to cheer for Kyle, and help him open his eyes to see how amazing he is, and I’ve never even met the kid, but you just know this kid is amazing from hearing his voice.

The best part is how Kyle’s wheels keep turning (along with his heart) and he talks through his thoughts as he comes to understanding that God can use him. Kyle can’t put a limit on what God can do based on the circumstances he sees. Kyle is 7. Nothing is impossible with God.

If you are able to, listen to Kyle’s conversation. And maybe keep a tissue near by. But I promise you will laugh more than cry. But a good mix of tears and laughter is always somehow comforting (or maybe that’s just a woman-thing—if so, guys, you’re missing out).


This entry was posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Alyssa said...

    I've heard this conversation a couple times over the years...and you're right. It is absolutely amazing. I had tears streaming while laughing out loud!

  1. ... on 12:09 PM