I’m spending some time dogsitting right now. I had sworn off dogsitting, but some dear friends waved some greenbacks and tossed in some super fluffy pillows into the deal, and due to my recent heart-attack for a car repair bill, I caved. So, I’m spending time with Oscar. He’s a border collie that loves Frisbees, and marking his territory every five feet. By the end of the week, he should own pretty much all of the West U area.

Last night, we watched a bit of The Dog Whisperer while I ate a pre-sleep snack, and he salivated hoping I would sneak him some food. I love the show The Dog Whisperer.

Last night’s show had a lady that had a bad neck injury and was worried her dog might pull her too hard, causing her hanging vertebrae to snap, and then resulting in her death. Common sense would tell you, get rid of the dog! But Cesar was called in to help rehabilitate the dog (and train the owner).

As soon as the dog started going psycho during walk time, Cesar put out his leg and touched the dog. The dog stopped being psycho immediately. He told the owner to do the same.

Her: I always felt like when I do that, I’m abusing the dog.
Cesar: The dog is abusing you.
Her: Oh. I never thought about it that way.

Another lady covered the dog’s ears as Cesar told this lady that her dog wasn’t human. Cesar’s explained in the voice-over of the scene that he realized he needed to show this lady patience as he trained her.

Cesar has to train the people to understand that they are in control, not the dog. And that the dog is a dog. Not a human. This show is not rocket science, but covers concepts that many people can’t get.

Digging deeper than I probably should into the show’s meaning, I think most of the people are trying to earn acceptance and love from their pet. Instead of the pet earning acceptance and love from the owner.

People. Pets are great. God has given us animals—and pets. But the love that is truly unconditional is not from your dog, but from Jesus Christ. As a petsitter, the dog pretty much forgets you within 24 hours when someone new starts feeding him. And that’s okay. Because he’s a dog. Don’t get it backwards. He’s not a god. God doesn’t forget you--even when you think you've stopped "feeding" him by not praying or paying a tithe, or even believing in Him.


This entry was posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Laurie said...

    As I reading this post, all I could think about was a recent email conversation we had...you know the one...

  1. ... on 11:02 AM  
  2. Ulovebeth said...

    Aw, jeez. I just remembered.

  3. ... on 12:56 PM