I try not to let this happen, but sometimes, I have a condition called “Cell Phone Addiction.” It can be socially embarrassing. It usually involves checking my phone repetitively in a short time period. I catch myself trying to cover my behavior by murmuring, “I’m expecting a call…” to the nearest bystander.

Today, I am away from home, and my cell phone is at home. I know it’s not a living object, but I can’t help wondering what it’s doing today. Is it moving around on the table it’s resting on because it’s getting text messages? Or is it making a loud beep telling me I have a missed call or a voicemail?

Forgetting your cell phone is not quite as bad as forgetting to pack your underwear on a long trip, but it’s kind of the same uneasy feeling. It’s like something’s missing today.

I really wish I didn’t feel this way. Why do I feel like a Renaissance woman when I forget my phone? What has the cell phone phenomenon done to me?

I think some of this feeling might be because I fear back-lash from my public. Missing text messages and phone calls can really tick people off if you don’t respond. I’ve been on the other end of the line before, and sometimes the vision I’ve had of the caller is of the person ignoring me on purpose (okay, sometimes I do that but in those moments, it’s not a good time for me to take a call, or you just really wouldn’t want to talk to me at that moment).

I guess the things that go through my head when my phone isn’t with me are the missed connections:

“Hey Beth, this is Prince Charming. Too bad you’re not picking up your phone, because I was going to come by and pick you up for dinner. Call me in twenty minutes, or you’ve forever missed me.”

“Beth! It’s me, your best friend. I have free plane tickets to New York. I’ll guess I’ll have to give them to my other best friend that picks up the phone.”

“Oh, I’m sorry. This was Madonna. I guess I got the wrong number.”

Occasionally, I do take a day off from the cell phone. It’s usually best if I plan that day and inform potential callers that no calls will be accepted for that one day. Fortunately, I don’t have any expected calls from my agent or possible lunch dates, so I should be okay today. Maybe it will be nice to not have to keep checking my phone. And maybe the world won’t end if I don’t always pick up my phone. Hmmmm…maybe.


This entry was posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: