Sweet, Fourth of July!

I like the Fourth of July. So many wonderful memories are connected with that day.

One of my favorite ways to spend Fourth of July in times past was at Camp Rockmont. In college and for a few years following college, I worked with the sister camp, Camp Hollymont. Rockmont is nuzzled in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. Every year, my camp, Hollymont, would make the journey to go to Rockmont for the big Fourth of July dance and fireworks display. The dance I could leave or take, but the fireworks were absolutely fabulous.

The camp had a whole fireworks team of the best pyro-counselor representatives. They would put together an awesome display of sparkles and flashes all accompanied by music. And I would get to enjoy all their hardwork by sitting along the edge of the lake and staring with mesmerized eyes into the sky. Those moments don't ever seem to last long enough. Each Fourth of July, my heart aches to be sitting by the lake watching the beautiful lights and listening to the snaps and crackles--always traveling a few seconds behind the view.

If you've been there or some place like it, you know what I'm talking about. It's not about the bbq, the traffic, or the uncomfortable lawn chair. It's about your mouth catching flies and unconsciously saying, "ooooh! ahhhh!" with the rest of the crowd. It's about sitting around noticing the sound of crickets after the fireworks are done.

Sweet America, sometimes you are so brave and other times you embarrass me. Sometimes you are refreshment and other times you are frightening. I thank you for being my country--the only one I know, but my country none the less, and I will be an honorable citizen and representative of your name (even though sometimes I think Canada might be a cool place to live, no pun intended). For goodness sakes, somebody break out the Lee Greenwood CD--I'm having a patriotic moment!


This entry was posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: