My sister told me some funny stories last night about her “Adventures with Vacation Bible School.” She’s working with the preschool kids, and they played a game last night where they toss a ball and say one word of a bible verse. So, it should’ve looked like this: Toss 1 – LOVE; Toss 2 – ONE; Toss 3 – ANOTHER.

But she said it looked more like: Toss 1 – blank stare. Toss 2 – blanker stare. Toss 3 – blankest stare. The preacher’s four-year-old kid caught on and would scream out to the rest: “LOVE! Say LOVE!”

Somehow this story became a teachable moment to me. Sometimes, I’m the one with the blank stare, not quite able to perceive the Word. Sometimes, I’m the one screaming “LOVE!” at other people.

God, may I get it. May these kids get it. May we really understand “Love one another.”

Geez, and these kids haven’t even gotten to “Be kind to others.”

Side note, my Sunday School class is memorizing 1 Peter 4:12 – the rest of chapter 5. It’s been really good. Maybe we can add the ball-toss this week as we try to recite it.

(pictured are my nieces. they love one another.)


This entry was posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: