I knew it would happen soon. When I woke up this morning, I had no clue that today would be the day. What circumstances could create one of the most exciting encounters of this age?

I’ll set the scene.

I work with doctors-in-training, and since someone in our office recently retired, I have been “blessed” with some aspects of her job by default. So, now my job is “checking out” the doctors who are leaving. (I’m sorry. This cracks me up every time I say it! I’ve tried to create my own check-out process with questions like: Are you single? If so, how do you feel about red hair? Do you like music? What are your views on sushi?—but my boss hasn’t let it pass yet.)

Today, one of the doctors had in his possession (in addition to scrubs and a pager)…[insert Star Trek soundtrack here, please] …the coveted iPhone. He casually handed it over to me to examine when he saw that I stopped in my tracks when realized he was holding the iPhone. I felt like my granny trying to figure out the VCR.

Him (noticing my cluelessness):“Press the button.” (there’s only one button)

Me: “Ohhhh. Wow. Shiny. Did you wait in line?”

Him: “Nah. It wasn’t that big of a deal.”

Me Thinking: “Not that big of a deal?! This is the iPhone!” (I tilted it and watched the screen flip positions and then attempted to tap into the accessories)

Me: “Oh, it has a camera! Does it work like the camera on the iMac?”

Him: “What do you mean?”

Me: “You know, does it distort the image and make your face look like a cartoon or a pencil drawing?”

Him: “I don’t know. I haven’t had time to play with it.”

Me Thinking: “This guy has spent too much time in a hospital. He hasn’t even been to the Apple store. Sad, just sad. So much knowledge, yet no sense of the amazing amounts of fun he could be having.”


This entry was posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: