When I was four, I distinctly remember having one freckle on my hand. It was always there, like my nose and my belly button (important things when you are four). No one told me that as I aged, a whole troop of freckles would begin their invasion on my skin.
 
My arm is pretty much completely covered by them, and my hands have about 40 - 50, although some are more clearly identified, kind of like looking into the nighttime sky where some stars are more visible than others.
 
When I'm out in the sun for about 15 minutes, new freckles start coming to the forefront. They used to fade away as I left the sun, but now, most are hanging around. This whole freckle phenomenon is not new, but I always forget about my freckles until summer hits. Then, I remember that I am a special branch of the caucasian race, the fairest of them all--the redhead.
 
In the winter months, I can pretend that my special race is not an issue, and I can more easily blend in with darker skinned friends, but during the summer, I stick out like a red thumb with my white legs peppered by freckles, and my constant stewing over sunscreen application.
 
I've been trying to fight the freckles this year, because they are a sign of sun damage, so I've been using a daily lotion with SPF, but the freckles are putting up a good fight. I took a quick swim in a shady pool on Sunday without any SPF, and I earned about 200 extra freckles for being too lazy to spray on my sunscreen.  I think my freckle count is currently about 20 per square inch. I'll keep you updated.


The other season of giving begins 6/24/08. Check out the i'm Talkathon. Check it out!


This entry was posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Erin said...

    I know exactly what you mean! I am not a red-head, but I come from a long line of them and have the fair skin to prove it.

  1. ... on 2:28 PM  
  2. Abby said...

    I have favorite freckles... how sad is that? One on my right ring finger and the other on my foot... the rest are all kind of a blur :)

  3. ... on 5:25 AM