My dad was a cancer patient at MD Anderson about 7 years ago. That’s why I originally moved to Texas. Then, I fell in love with HFBC as they encouraged and loved me, and decided that this needed to be my home. Since that time, my heart has been softened to people hurting because of cancer. I’ve been a volunteer at MD Anderson for years, and have waned from my duties because of other issues in my life overtaking my time. Lately, I’ve been missing my time with cancer patients and their families.

A few weeks ago, I got a call from one of my dad’s old high school friends from Kentucky telling me his wife was diagnosed with leukemia. They came to visit MD Anderson while I was visiting Kentucky, so I missed seeing them. I got an e-mail from them asking me to please visit a patient and his family if I had time. I made time, and I was blessed. This family let me do my favorite thing while ministering to them: we went to Target. The highest price this ministry had on my life was the cost of my merchandise.

Please pray for Cody, 19, who is healing from surgery on a brain tumor. He’s in ICU with fluid in his lungs so he’s sedated in an effort to keep him calm while the machines get the fluid out. His family is still waiting for him to officially wake up.

When I went to pick them up, the family identified me to other people in the lobby by having red hair. Cody’s girlfriend also has red hair, and was glad to see another redhead in Houston. Who knew that God could work through red hair and a red target? God is good. All the time.


This entry was posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: