My friend’s mom has a secret recipe she will not disclose (and I’ve begged!) for a special dessert bar that is so delicious, you’ll instantly eat five of them and say you only had three. They’re peanut butter and topped with a layer of chocolate. My friend used these bars to raise money at a bake sale (which was for my dad) and raised about $700-$800. These bars are so delicious.

She had a great idea of passing them out to clients last week, but was having a tough time not eating all of them herself. She had some leftovers and was left with a dilemma.

The story I’m telling today was part of a very recent phone conversation. I’ll warn you, it’s not pretty. Please do not read during your lunch hour. Names will not be disclosed in this story (except for mine). The story has been edited for content:

Friend: “Beth, remember those chocolate and peanut butter special bars I made to hand out to clients last week? Well, on Friday we had some left over, so I filled a Styrofoam cooler with ice, and laid them on top, so they wouldn’t melt. I asked Stacy, my assistant manager, if she thought they’d be okay even though it was so hot, and she said they’d be fine because I had them in GLAD baggies. I guess I should have taken in account that I got those baggies at the dollar store.”

Me: “Wait a minute. Did you use GLAD’s name in vain? You really didn’t have GLAD baggies?”

Friend: “Well, the GLAD had a double D.
I just opened up the cooler, and it looked like the Titanic.”

Me: “Oh my gosh. They died a sailor’s death.”

Friend: “Some of the little baggies must have had a tiny hole, or maybe they weren’t sealed right, but it was horrible. I have never seen anything look closer to diarrhea in my life. It was like bags of diarrhea. And the bags that leaked out had turned the water a strange color. I really want to throw up.”

Me: “Oh dear. Well, maybe now you won’t be as addicted to them. It’s like a curse or something. Wonderful and peanut buttery delicious on Friday, and if they sit and you don’t eat them, they turn into diarrhea.”

Hmmm…maybe this story could be paralleled to manna from heaven.
I keep trying to decide if I would have still eaten the bars or not. They are really good bars.


This entry was posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Alyssa said...

    That sounds remarkably like a recipe I have for chocolate and peanut butter bars. I don't mind sharing the recipe! :)

  1. ... on 1:13 PM