We got a new cafeteria at work. It’s got shiny new signs and new food bars including the trendy pasta bar. I was excited when I saw Catalina dressing on the salad bar. I love that stuff.

Yesterday, I got my food, and then found myself feeling like it was my first day of high school as I gazed around the room for a table. Every table was filled. I finally found a lonely table in the corner. And sat alone. And ate my food. Alone.

I eat alone quite a lot. I honestly like having time to be alone during lunch at work. Then I can eat really fast, and read the rest of the time. But I know there’s a huge stigma about eating alone. And I felt really weird yesterday eating alone. I didn’t have a book, and the advertising display on the table only contained about 10 words and an uninteresting picture.

Sometimes being alone is something that is really good. It gives you time to listen to something beyond yourself. It is a very calming experience. Othertimes it’s--well, just lonely.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: