In college, I had a good friend named Ernie who is from Malaysia. The first time he met me, he thought I was very annoying, and honestly, I probably was. I had just gotten back from a summer in NY State, and I was a little bit off kilter. While trying to get away from me, Ernie fell into a hole, and twisted his ankle, but didn’t want me to help him because he just wanted to get away.

Seconds later, I was asked by a campus policeman to drive some guy’s truck who was suspected of drunk driving. Since I had just learned to drive a stick shift, I jumped at the chance to practice. Wow. A day in my life can sometimes be strange.

Anyway.

Afterwards, Ernie and I wound up meeting in circles again, and became great friends. Ernie is one of the most unique individuals you’ll ever meet. He’s got a great personality, so great that he became the king of our campus of over 12,000. Now Ernie is back in Malaysia, and we keep in touch from time to time. He never ceases to amaze me with his business and personal endeavors. He’s an amazing person. I miss Ernie, and hope I can go visit him in Malaysia one day.

His latest project is being part of a TV show called The Firm. It’s Malaysia’s version of The Apprentice. I looked it up on google and this is what I found: click here.

I have another Malaysian friend who is coming to visit this weekend. She’s now a D.C. resident, but her family is still in Malaysia. I can’t wait to ask her if they know about Ernie’s show. I love crossed-connections.


This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: