Every week, I get an e-mail from my church greeting me with the phrase: “Hello Runners.” Somehow I signed up for a running group several years ago, and never actually attended any meetings. Usually, when I attempt to run, I always have a random injury or something that happens where I’m not able to finish the task.

Yesterday, I decided to commit to running a 5K on October 6th. Right now, I can probably run a mile. I’ve never been really into running. Sometimes it’s kind of boring, and I’m not into having sweat pour into my eyes. But I know running is a great cardio workout. And it’s been a goal to complete a 5K.

I’m taking it slow and have an entire plan for how I will train. I also have a very good training advisor. I want to finish the race. I want to run the whole time during the race.

I don’t picture myself ever being one of the tight-muscled and tan people who stride through Memorial Park with shirts that say “RUNNING IS MY LIFE,” but it would be cool to be like the guy in Chariots of Fire (true story):

Eric Liddell: I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure.

Eric Liddell: You came to see a race today. To see someone win. It happened to be me. But I want you to do more than just watch a race. I want you to take part in it. I want to compare faith to running in a race. It's hard. It requires concentration of will, energy of soul. You experience elation when the winner breaks the tape - especially if you've got a bet on it. But how long does that last? You go home. Maybe you're dinner's burnt. Maybe you haven't got a job. So who am I to say, "Believe, have faith," in the face of life's realities? I would like to give you something more permanent, but I can only point the way. I have no formula for winning the race. Everyone runs in her own way, or his own way. And where does the power come from, to see the race to its end? From within. Jesus said, "Behold, the Kingdom of God is within you. If with all your hearts, you truly seek me, you shall ever surely find me." If you commit yourself to the love of Christ, then that is how you run a straight race.

Okay, so I’m only running a 5K, but this is inspiring stuff!


This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    gL said...

    I love that movie... and the soundtrack

  1. ... on 9:59 AM