Last week, I got to go home to Dundee to say good-bye to our home and the town.

My mom put so much work into our 180+/- year old farmhouse, making it such a great home.
The town originally was called Hines Mill and Mr. Hines lived in our house. Through the years, the town built up around our house, so we were in the center in the exciting town of 100 (now 99 since Mom is leaving).

My mom loves flowers, and somehow became fascinated with lawn décor. The day I saw flowers growing out of my little red wagon, I thought she had gone too far.


My favorite place in Dundee was down the old creek road. My mom has recently become fond of the old railroad bed.

She and a friend would walk down the road in the middle of the corn fields. My mom drove me down there on Monday to see if we could see the corn maze. It’s the talk of the town. She said I probably couldn’t see it unless I was in a helicopter, so my picture is just of corn.

The maze is supposed to be in the shape of a goat—which is our town’s symbol because it sits on top of our Masonic building. And no, it’s not a Satanic town. We love Jesus there.

I have a strong affection to corn fields. I know it sounds strange, but I really like watching it grow. Thank goodness my experience working in corn ended in the 1980s when my granny moved from her house with a huge garden. The Dundee corn looks really good this year in spite of drought-like conditions.

I’ll miss walking around Dundee, but there were times when I was bit scared of running into a coyote, a copperhead, or a crazy redneck kicking up dust in his pickup and spitting chaw. I won’t miss those times.


This entry was posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: