My Starbucks cup today was a huge quote about how “heaven is totally overrated” and “it seems totally boring.”

It made me feel sad for this guy. All I could think of was that this guy needs to get a life, or maybe more accurately, he needs to get a death (with a life after it). If not, he’ll definitely be missing out.
God’s Word says in 1 Corinthians 2:9 -
"No eye has seen,
no ear has heard,
no mind has conceived
what God has prepared for those who love him"


My hope is in Jesus Christ, and I believe in heaven. I had lunch with a friend a few months back who told me the story that is told in the book 90 Minutes in Heaven. We both cried as we kind of both came to terms with our fathers both being deceased, and trusting that they are both in heaven. After my dad died, I had to come to terms with what I really and truly believed about the afterlife. After struggling through all the thoughts, my faith grew and I know heaven is real in a way we can’t possibly imagine.

Sometimes, I get troubled in my heart because if I believe it’s real, then why do I sometimes give a millisecond of worry or frustration about things that which will pass away? I think one of the most frustrating part about being a Christian is coming to terms with the fact that we don’t “arrive,” and that we’re continually “in process.” Not to say that we don’t “grow.” But we’re still just humans who have been shown grace and mercy.

Jesus called heaven paradise. Not “cloud city,” but paradise.

Luke 23:43 Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

I’m sure heaven in a whole lot cooler than anything we could think of on Earth. I’ve seen amazing things on this earth, and this is only Earth. We can’t conceive it. But we must have faith to believe it.

God, please give that man eyes to see. And a heart that can believe.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Alyssa said...

    Amen!

  1. ... on 2:32 PM  
  2. Erin said...

    Great post! I just read 90 Minutes in Heaven a couple of weeks ago, and I highly recommend it. It's a powerful story on many levels, and it's a quick read - I read it in a weekend. One of the things he talks about in the book is struggling with depression after coming back from heaven. Kind of reassuring that even someone who has seen heaven with his own eyes still struggles with daily worries/frustrations. I guess it boils down to we're human, and we're just not ever gonna fully "get it" while we're here on earth.

  3. ... on 1:16 PM