Yesterday, I went to the dentist. I put on a pair of sunglasses and then a set of headphones connected to a small radio I clutched in my hand. It was playing Nirvana “Smells Like Teen Spirit.” I laid back in the chair, and then the dentist started drilling on my decay. She thought I only had surface decay, but after I started squirming a bit and making strange “eauhh” noises, she decided that I might need to be numbed. She used a q-tip with a special solution to numb my gums, and then left the room. I immediately tried to find KSBJ, Christian radio (somewhat cheesy at times, but I needed something to keep me focused on God).

The doctor came back to finish the job of numbing me. This time, with something stronger. She said, “Close your eyes” in her Eastern European accent. I closed my eyes. But for some reason, I snuck a peak. And what I saw will forever be burned into my mind. No person should go into any type of dental procedure without a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. The needle was larger than I thought possible. The dentist was hovered over me with a very intent look in her eyes that penetrated through the face mask and protective glasses. After administering another shot on the other side of my mouth, she left me to let the medicine take effect.

Suddenly, I felt very tired. A few weeks earlier, my mom had told me a story about her friend’s niece that died in the dentist chair. My mind flashed to that story, but I realized I was at peace with life and God. Maybe it was time. The chair felt nice. I could just slip away. But I knew I had to fight for my life. This wasn’t the time. And this wasn’t the way. And I wasn’t really dying. I just have an over-active imagination.

Things went okay. I had three areas of decay filled. I’m fighting the good fight of life and this decay thing with tooth and nail (or with toothbrush and floss). My teeth nor my spirit shall see eternal decay. (Perhaps not exactly theologically sober, but I needed a dramatic ending.)


This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: