Last fall, my friend’s dad died, so I went to the funeral in West Texas. At the cemetery, I started a conversation with her older cousins about BBQ. I told them that Texas didn’t have good BBQ, and that Kentucky was where it’s at. They created such a ruckus that people turned and stared. They would have had a throw-down with me over it if I hadn’t been wearing a dress. People are partial to their barbeque. Note to self: don’t talk about barbeque with Texans at a funeral.

MSN had an article today about the best BBQ in the world. They left off the most important spot, but I read comments (condensed below) and found out that the Kentucky people will not be silent about their barbeque—because it’s the best.

Andros270:If you want some real BBQ come to Owensboro, KY it's a small town but it should be named BBQ capital of the world…l BBQ in Owensboro is delicious… some places to look for are Moonlite BBQ, Old Hickory, and George's BBQ, I like Old Hickory personally, but you should judge for yourself!

Patriotic 2: …I am a Kentucky boy …Old Hickory in Owensboro, Ky. is the bomb for bbq mutton…

Dlsfuture1: OK. Let's set the record straight! I was born and raised in Western Kentucky and there is absolutely no better BBQ than what you can get in Owensboro, Hopkinsville, Paducah, Cadiz, and Madisonville, Bowling Green, and so on. The different style of bbq Mutton (sheep) and Kentucky Burgoo (similar to Brunswick Stew in GA.), pork and beef cannot be found anywhere else. The taste and smell of good KY bbq and burgoo is one that you'll never forget no matter where you go.

Bentnotbroken: …Our burgoo is out of this world… The first bite of really good burgoo brings just one or two tears to your eyes, but not too spicy for anyone. My daughter was eating it at 18 months and still is at 22 years.

We all grew up singing the song (Jen, I know you know it—and I need help with the exact words):

“Moonlite Bar-B-Q, down on Parrish Avenue.
You’ll see what I mean, all meat good and lean.
Owenboro, Kentucky is the Bar-B-Q capitol of the world.
Come on down and bring the whole crew, to Moonlite Bar-B-Qyouuuuuuu.”


--Just fyi, Old Hickory is the best for chopped mutton, and Moonlite has the best chopped pork. And burgoo is good from everywhere. (I also love Moonlite’s cornbread muffins.) Because of this, I will never be a vegan.


This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

    Laurie said...

    I'm sorry, did you just say "chopped mutton"? You really want to get in a fight over who has better BBQ when all you're bringing to the table is chopped mutton?

  1. ... on 1:00 PM  
  2. Ulovebeth said...

    Chopped mutton is what this little lamb prefers. We've got ribs, sliced pork, chicken, you name it. We probably even barbeque twinkies.

    After you try it, you'll dream about it.

  3. ... on 1:12 PM  
  4. Abby said...

    From everything I've heard, the styles are completely different and both places do their style very well. I think everyone just prefers what they were raised on. They may both be called BBQ, but were talking a Tex-Mex vs Mexican food type of difference in taste. So I say, why can't we just all get along? After all, great BBQ is in the eye of the beholder.

  5. ... on 5:41 AM  
  6. Ulovebeth said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  7. ... on 1:38 PM  
  8. Ulovebeth said...

    Okay, the BBQ in Texas is goode. In Kentucky, it's great.

  9. ... on 1:39 PM