One of the benefits of moving is now I have a more constant room temperature, and I can get a betta fish. Throughout college I always had bettas. I had Elmo and Fabio—and my roommate Robin had Amazing Larry and Nervous Charlie (she got Amazing Larry after I found the Polaroid on the kitchen table of Bob, my goldfish, floating in the toilet). I also had one in my fourth grade classroom. The kids named him Skipper.

Skipper was great fun. The kids in my class wrote stories about how Skipper made it to our classroom. They were really funny. The kids’ favorite thing to do was to tell me that Skipper was dead. His bowl would be over my shoulder while I was reading to them, and they would say, “Miss Richards! Miss Richards! Skipper’s dead!” So, I’d stop reading and tap on the bowl behind me to find out he was just sleeping. He was really good at playing dead. The janitors fell for his antics, too. Every afternoon they would repeat, “Your fish is dead.” They wouldn’t believe me until I proved to them he was actually capable of moving.

I haven’t decided on a new name for my betta yet, and I’m not asking for suggestions. Part of the fun of having a pet is getting to name it (just like children). But I am asking for help on where to purchase my fish. I don’t know much about Houston fish stores.


I also am thinking about starting a Betta Club. I know there was one at my high school. If you’re interested in joining, let me know. But you must have a Betta to be a member.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 comments:

    Jen said...

    We have one in our classroom- I swear it's unkillable! It has survived 40 4 year olds and almost 2 years of class. They named him Phat Daddy last year. Yes, this white girl has a fish named Phat Daddy.

  1. ... on 12:51 PM  
  2. Ulovebeth said...

    My first Betta Club member! You can be vice-president. Or Pres-elect. Whatever.

    I read that bettas can live up to 10 years!

  3. ... on 1:11 PM  
  4. Laurie said...

    I used to have a Betta at my old office. I named him Cosi Fin Tutti.

  5. ... on 1:16 PM  
  6. Ulovebeth said...

    I totally had to Wikipedia that name.

    Okay, maybe you can be an ex-officio member since you used to have a betta. Or maybe you should get a new one.

  7. ... on 1:22 PM  
  8. Alyssa said...

    I want a betta! I had several in college. I disagree that they're unkillable. Let's just say I had several...none at the same time.

    I think I'll get one this summer and have it in my classroom next year.
    :)

  9. ... on 9:06 AM  
  10. Ulovebeth said...

    Alyssa,
    Welcome to the club. You can pick your office. They're pretty much all up for grabs except the president. That's me.

  11. ... on 10:24 AM