My favorite candy used to be Nerds. I feel guilty for saying “used to be” like I’m being unfaithful or something. I could down a box in about 5 minutes. Sweet, sour, crunchy, and fabulous. I even figured out that if you talk into the box, you sound like you’re giving a radio transmitted message (fyi, this was when I was much, much younger—I’m way more mature now). I probably could have been a few inches taller if I was eating something more nutritious than Nerds.

Then, about four years ago, I discovered truffles. They are pretty amazing. The best ones are from Chocolate du Monde in Rice Village. I like expensive chocolate. Why waste calories on Hershey’s? After eating the real deal, the supermarket stuff sometimes tastes like wax.

What happened to the Beth that was obsessed with sweettarts and candy that made your eyes squinch and the back of your jaws ache? Am I a choc-o-holic now?

Not quite. I am still not into chocolate cake or ice cream. And that’s a good point to remember as we count down to the biggest event of the year…my Super Sweet Sixteen Times Two!!


This entry was posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

    Mookee said...

    Candy, in all its forms, is good for you. There is a secret, and rather successful, plot to get society to not eat candy ... thereby creating mostly boring, workaholic adult types that really don't do anything that's overly fun...If you don't believe me, take the average child.

    They run around like a hummingbird on acid, bouncing off walls, breaking bones and subsequently having enough energy to cry about it. They walk to the TOP of the hill (not the middle) with their inner tube just so they can catch another 2 inches of air on the bottom of the slope, and end up at home for dinner, which they eat grudgingly because they've been denied their dessert if they do not first consume the "grown up" food...and while everyone else finishes their "grown up" food (because adults are likely to forego dessert altogether), the kids beat the crap out of each other and (because it's too dark to go outside) slide down the stairs on a dinner tray.

    At the end of the day they sleep like the dead, and wake up and start the whole cycle over again.

    They eat candy like a crowd of Buddhas in a HoHo factory, they're almost always in good cheer, and when laughing only take time to stop because they can't breathe any more.

    They know something we have forgotten, and I'll bet it has something to do with candy.

  1. ... on 10:35 PM  
  2. Aimee said...

    I think it's because our teeth and the lining of our stomachs can't handle it anymore! I loved those sweet & sour candies growing up, too. I still do, I just can't take them in huge quantities anymore...does a number on the belly.

  3. ... on 8:53 AM  
  4. Ulovebeth said...

    For my 30th, KK and I had a Willy Wonka blow-out. So for my 40th, I guess I'll have a Vegan Fest. I think in the future, we'll all be Vegan. Why is it we know more about nutrition and the effects on our bodies, but eat so much worse?

  5. ... on 10:25 AM