I’ve been having withdrawal symptoms for UK basketball. It’s really hard to catch one of the games living in Texas. I was never a huge “I Bleed Blue!” fan, but I still like to support the team. I didn’t really know anything about their record this year until Abby started talking about how great A&M was this year. Basically I told her, let the Big 12 just stick to football and leave basketball to the SEC.

Anyway, Abby was right about UK’s sad record this year. Last night, the Wildcats were playing LSU at home. LSU played like Kentucky used to play—confident. The score was LSU 21 to UK 6 when I had stop watching. Who in the world were these players for Kentucky? And didn’t they know who they were? They were playing for Kentucky: the Barbeque and Basketball Capitol of the World. See Moonlite Bar-B-Q: http://www.moonlite.com/.

I called my mom. I told her I thought the team hadn’t been good since my granny passed away and was no longer praying for them. It’s kind of ironic how the time correlates.

My mom called me back to tell me that Kentucky had pulled through and won the game! LSU 63; UK 70. I realize that LSU’s record this year isn’t great, but I think Kentucky really needed to win. My mom said, “Never give up.” She’s such a cheerleader.

Kentucky needs basketball. It’s something that gives pride to everyone in the state. Kentuckians are made fun of all around the world for chicken, the derby, not wearing shoes, and other things I won’t mention. So we embrace basketball. And we’re good at it.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    AyDubb said...

    Oh, and Beth? Let's not forget the other thing that Kentuckians get made fun of for doing...errr, perfecting(?)--whiskey and hemp. Yep. Leanred about those two little things my first crisp morning in Frankfort. nothing like the smell of fresh corn mash in the morning!

  1. ... on 8:55 PM