Yesterday, I caught an old Northern Exposure episode. I almost got stuck in a t.v. warp which would have then taken me through hour long episodes of Magnum P.I., The A-Team, and Kojak. I know, I know, a pretty good way to spend the day, but somehow I got myself out of the house.

On this episode of Northern Exposure (Rosebud), Leonard, the Shaman, was looking for explanations of "White-Man Medicine." The Native Americans have lots of stories which teach them lessons, and nothing from the white man really measured up. Later, Chris explained that Christianity kind of overtook all the folklore since the Gospel hit the bestseller list.

Anyway, Leonard finally kind of figures out through Ed that movies are white man medicine. They comfort the white man. I think we all relate some part of a movie to an emotion or situation that we go through. And sometimes we use those movies to guide our decisions. Probably not the wisest thing to do.

Is this the reason why celebrites have become so important? Because we base the answers to the deep questions in our soul on the reactions of the characters they play? So in a way, we are making those celebrites our medicine men? Or our healers? I don't think Jehovah-Rapha would be very pleased. Am I swimming too deep in the kiddie pool or does this make sense?


This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: