At the request of sweet Abby who might be having a hard day today:
1. What were you doing 10 years ago? Sept 1997 Student teaching with Miss Mize’s third grade class in Bowling Green, KY. Probably monitoring students in the computer lab, watching to make sure they didn’t put magnets on the screen—[don’t do it!!]. Sneaky cheeky monkeys! And eating lunch at about 10:48 a.m. for 15 minutes. [scary thought. Those kids are 18 now!]

2. What were you doing 5 years ago? Sept 2002 Working in Trinity at the Outdoor Education Center teaching 5th graders from HISD about science, diversity, and canoeing. Monitoring their sleeping/eating/bathing habits. Jumping over copperheads and watching out for gators and fireants. Trying not to get lost in the woods with a group of 10 years olds for fear of a Lord of the Flies reenactment. Driving back to Houston every weekend to shower and return to civilization and Starbucks.

3. What were you doing 1 year ago? Sept 2006 ... Having a visit with my friend Kari and her daughter, Katherine, to my one room apartment.  Working at the same job I have now meeting with doctors in training. Eating at Chuy’s. Working out at the Y.

4. What did you do yesterday? Woke up, went to work, talked to a friend on my way home, went to Old Navy and bought pom-pom socks for me & Wendy for her b-day (2 for 1), enjoyed good food at Empire with lots of sweet friends, talked to old roomie, brushed teeth/face, talked to friend again, journaled (need to by a drool-proof one for when I accidentally doze off on it), and konked out.

5. Snacks I enjoy ... reduced fat Kaukauna port-wine cheese (cannot find a retailer in H-town that sells it), hummus, laughing cow cheese triangles, dried cranberries, dark chocolate, cereal, string cheese, apples, crackers, strawberries, blueberries, grapes, chili-lime Guiltless Gourmet chips with spicy black bean dip.

6. Things I would do with $100 million dollars ... Find a good financial planner. Find a good accountant and set up estimated payments (okay, okay, I worked at a CPA firm for awhile!). Tithe. Bless random people with dough-ra-me. Set up a foundation (or donate to one) partnering with African children/orphans. Fund a doctor’s salary for a physician to live in Mukaa. Help fund my friends who are missionaries. Help set up college funds for my nieces and nephews. Help take care of my family. Go back to school. Travel to visit friends that live everywhere and take another friend with me. Establish organic farming and training centers in the area where I grew up. And build a Young Life camp there. And build a few retreat centers where I would work/counsel/play/relax, rent to groups, and live with my family. And then, I’d probably have drained my funds dry. 

7. Locations I would run to ... home, Asheville, wherever I have a friend or can make a new one. Or wherever there is a magnificient spectacle of God’s creation.

8. Bad habits I have ... I am always late, but I forgive myself. I sometimes talk more than listen. I tell jokes to myself that are so funny that I laugh out loud at inappropriate times. I like to do too much, and I wear myself down with fun and get grouchy. I eat too much chips and queso at one sitting.

9. Things I like to do (but sometimes never do): talk to friends/family, take photos of kids, write, draw, paint, play the guitar, dance, work-out, read, laugh, eat, cook, stand with the waves at my feet, look at stars (oh, how I miss the Blue Ridge Parkway!), hike (don’t even own hiking boots anymore since I’ve been Texified), canoe (I am a champion canoer), learn, shop (when I have money), drink hot tea, read my bible, and think.

10. Biggest joy of the moment: I am loved by God. And I am taken care of by God. And I am always amazed by the unexpected ways he shows me he’s got me taken care of just at the time when I’m ready to give up and try to make things work on my own. True joy. True peace.

I request completion of the above questions by Laurie, Erin B. and/or DuB, if they have time. Or Steven or Todd just for giggles.


This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: