My car is in the shop. I’ve been dreading this moment. I knew it had to happen, but I was avoiding it, because I need my car. Especially since I moved and no longer have my familiar bus route to work as a transportation back-up.

I dropped off my car this morning, and walked to a bus-stop. While waiting, my adventure began. I was sitting there sweating in the 8:00 a.m. Houston heat, quietly eating string cheese when I was approached by a man that perhaps stakes out this bus stop. He sits as close to me as possible with only my shoulder back-pack and the bill on his cap separating us.

Creepy Man: “What are you eating? Would you share some with me?”
Me: “String cheese. This is my last bite. No.”

Then, he asks me if I’ll eat dinner with him at the Galleria. He asks if I have a husband. I say no, but I quickly tell him I have a boyfriend (I did run into Yao Ming at the Galleria, and he did grin at me, so that will be my boyfriend—the tallest man possible in Houston). This did not satisfy my pursuer who wanted my boyfriend to share the blessings.

After that, somehow the man starts ranting and raving about the Old Testament, tells me Adam and Eve weren’t married. I told him they were married for probably 700 years. Then, he’s telling me other “Bible facts” and how I’m a freak because I believe. It was quite a lovely experience. Prayer is possible with your eyes opened and your mouth not moving in a public place.

I saw a taxi and got the driver to make eye contact. I put my hands in prayer position and mouthed, “Please!” and she still wouldn’t stop.

Finally, my bus arrived, I was never more thankful to see a bus.

So, if by chance you live in Houston, and are sitting in your air-conditioned car shaking your fist at the bus stopping in front of you, remember—that could be someone else’s ticket to safety. (Depending on who’s on the bus, too.) I’m renting a car today.


This entry was posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: