I made a vow that I would never have a Myspace page. I’ve seen far too many people addicted to it. Most people have started to snub their noses at Myspace considering it more of a post Gen-X-er thing, but that’s not the only virtual realm that can become like an unofficial and unpaid parttime job in your life.

Last night, my friend showed me his Facebook page, and was encouraging me to start a Facebook page, too. As I clicked on various people, I discovered all my friends were having a secret online friendship affair with one another. [Perhaps one of you reading this right now is under some conviction. You know who you are.]

I explained that I didn’t want a Facebook. I already have a blog, and it takes up enough web time, but satisfies my need to write and share pictures and helps to get some thoughts out of my head. If I added one more thing that was computer connected in my life, I might blow a gasket. I already text message, e-mail, listen to voicemails, spend tons of time on my cell phone, and search a few too many times on Google throughout the day.

My friend said that with Facebook, I could e-mail friends and also send them virtual gifts.

Come on, people! If we’re virtually dating, virtually being friends, and shopping online spending virtual money, --and now we’re giving virtual gifts? Okay, this has gone too far. I want the real deal. But maybe there could be an advantage to this…I’ve been feeling financially strapped and really would like to give all my friends who are having weddings, babies, and birthdays some type of gift…hence, the virtual gift had become my gift of choice!

Note: The Beth that has a profile on Facebook from Texas is not the ulovebeth affiliated with Happy Little Trees, and I’m sure isn’t as cute as me.

2nd Note: If you’ve become overly defensive at the comments I’ve made, then that could be a sign of a problem. And I feel your pain. A friend once confronted me about my blog, and suggested I might be addicted to it. It’s okay, really, I can handle it. It’s not a problem. Really.


This entry was posted on Monday, June 25, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

    Epic said...

    So, am i officially one of your muses or "virtually" a muse, since you always seem to use me as material for your blogs? I think i may need to write about the real reason you don't have time to sign up for facebook on my blog. ~mark twain

  1. ... on 10:33 PM  
  2. Ulovebeth said...

    I confess I signed up for something called virb, but just because Leslee has pictures on there and I wanted to make a comment.

  3. ... on 8:59 AM  
  4. Epic said...

    virb is the worst one you could pick. no wonder. that is the one for older adults that want to hook up. hahaha. Silly Beth.

  5. ... on 10:39 PM  
  6. gL said...

    OK I just joined yesterday... and it's true... but oh my is it addicting... so many old friends to catch up with and little applications to install and play around with...

  7. ... on 7:07 AM