I think I just had a heart attack. Not a broken heart, but an adult heart that is feeling the pain of a hefty car repair bill.

The sad part is that I need body work done on the car, too, which will have to wait. I guess I’ll just duct tape a make-up mirror onto my broken side mirror. [Murray, can I borrow your black duct tape?]

The other day, a lady was beside me at a River Oaks area stoplight in a shiny new, crisp white, sporty Bentley. I kind of laughed to myself as I sat with my air condition blowing hot air thinking, “If she has a car payment, and my car is paid off, then I’m kind of better off financially than she is!” And with that thought, I didn’t want to be driving the Bentley with the fancy wood interior or leather seats. I like my jeep a lot.

Apparently now, I will have to love my jeep. I’m making a commitment to it, demonstrating that I am willing to put tons of money into my “Made in the USA” vehicle. I’m willing to put tons of money into my gas tank. I’m willing to go without Starbucks (oh, do I really mean that?!) and new clothes (because I can’t afford to eat, I can fit into all my friend’s tiny hand-me-downs). Jeep, we’re in this for the long haul (even though you don’t currently have a towing attachment).


This entry was posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    AyDubb said...

    Beth, I tried to be faithful to my dear Bertha, but she did the auto equivalent of putting her hand on her hip, rolling eyes, sucking teeth, and winding the neck. I tried to love her anyway, but in the end, our relationship had to end. I've moved on to a great relationship, with a car that treats me like I should be treated. I said all this to say: Be careful with your car-heart, Beth. Once it's broken...

  1. ... on 8:18 PM