It's on its way. Father's Day is almost here. It's a day of celebration for some, and others don't want to acknowledge it exists at all. Apparently, there are a lot of people out there with "Father Issues" and you may be one. I've been hearing lots of radio commentary on the subject lately.

Father's Day is kind of hard for me, because it reminds me of how terribly much I miss my daddy (and I know I have many friends in the same boat). Whether your dad is dead or a dead-beat, use the day to pray for dads. If he's gone, thank God for the dad you had and pray for the dads you know to be better dads. If he's alive, then by golly, show your dad some love! And if he needs it--grace!

I praise God that I had a great dad who gave me Polo-smelling hugs and passed onto me a love of food and a quirky sense of humor--that not everybody always understands. And I praise God that he gave me a dad that I saw studying his Sunday School lesson intently underlining almost every word as he went along with his Cross pen (don't ask me what the system meant--I have no idea--I was mesmerized by the underlining).

My dad was a deacon at our church, so I when I take communion or give offering, I remember my dad, too (and of course, first I think about Jesus). I will be honorable to his name and not reflect on the years that he tried to be our song leader for our church of about 30.

I can still remember watching reruns of Andy Griffith, Little House of the Prairie, and then hearing the rattle of my dad's keys as he came home from work. I'd give a him a hug and a kiss, and then we would finally get to eat dinner. My dad ate like a machine. He wouldn't eat all day and would scarf down his dinner (not necessarily a good eating regimen). And somehow, being the youngest, my dinner table seat was in between my mom and my dad. My leftie sister, across from my mom on a corner, and my brother across from my dad at the "tail" of the table. I was in the perfect spot for him to eat off my plate: saying, "Are you going to eat that?" while simulaneously grabbing and eating the food.

As for fathers, death is hard. Dead-beat is hard. Abuse is hard. There are many ways a father can fail us. But I know that the biggest "blessings" I have received from losing my dad physically is 1) knowing he is in heaven, and 2) knowing that I have a Heavenly Father who loves me, loves me, loves me and who is my comfort and is with me in ways that my own dad could not be (fyi-because my Heavenly Father is God). He is the unfailing Father.

I will celebrate my relationship with my Heavenly Father on Sunday. And I'll celebrate two other great dads in my life, my brother, Brother Troy (he's a pastor--also, pictured with precious wife, Kim), and my brother-in-law, Gene (affectionately called Big Boy--don't know if I have a pic).

Fathers, have a happy day! And the rest of you, have a happy day. Let your Father in heaven show you some love. :)


This entry was posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Beth, what a precious tribute to your Dad. I also am thankful for my Father God especially after what I have just been through He is even closer to me. The comfort and assurance He gives me is awesome. Thanks for this post. I so enjoy your blog.
    Moms

  1. ... on 8:21 AM