Tomorrow is my last day at my current job. I am leaving the medical education world, and entering a new land and brand of geniuses.

I've made some great friends at this job, and sometimes have marveled that I've gotten to become friends with some people who deal with crisis situations and modern medical breakthroughs everyday (well, maybe not every day). It's been kind of like being an extra on General Hospital or something. The whole doctor life was somewhat of a mystery before working here. My main experience with physicians was what I watched on t.v., so I've had many eye opening experiences.

I've learned that there's a difference between physicians who are clinically focused, and those that focus on academics. I've learned that it is difficult to balance everything in a doctor's life: family, work, kids, etc., but some can do a pretty amazing job at it.

I've learned that the best doctors aren't always the most well-known, but sometimes those with the biggest hearts. And when a doctor's heart is big, miracles can and do happen.

Also, the biggest secret is that the person running the real show, doesn't even have a m.d. by her name, but without her, we all might as well throw in the towel.

It takes a village to raise a doctor.

Things that won’t happen at my other job:

1) 9 out of 10 people wearing scrubs at a business meeting.
2) Messages on my voicemail that say, “Sorry I missed your call, I was in the OR.”
3) Hearing someone say, “Well, looks like we need to talk to the chiefs.”
4) Waiting for the red light to light up on the duty hours hotline.
5) Questioning someone about the number of FNAs/CABGs/echos/EGDs etc. they’ve done for the month.
6) Meetings scheduled (or suddenly cancelled) around patient visits.
7) Making sure that someone has gone home after working 30 hours straight.
8) Having a fear that when I’m bit by a mosquito that it’s been genetically altered or infected with malaria.
9) Being scared of going to the subbasement (where they hide the bodies).
10) Calling pager numbers.


This entry was posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: