Last night was our last night of Campaigners for the summer, which is the YL word for bible study. We journeyed to Star Pizza and filled up on some carbs, tomato sauce, and cheese, and then we headed out to a Sonic on the Nawf side. This particular Sonic was basically just a drive-thru. We did manage to find a table to gather the girls around.
 
Half the girls on our arrival decided that needed a potty break, so they left with Kelli (my leader co-part) to hit Taco Cabana's restroom, and I stayed guarding our seat with two other girls. While sitting there, a group of four African-American teen boys pulled up in a beat-up old Camry that had the windows down. They started yelling out things from the car which I couldn't quite discern. 
 
I kept my eyes on one of the girls who looked at me with wide-eyes and subtlely shook her head to me to say, "Beth, don't respond!" Suddenly, she turned around and then squealed out, "Heyyyyy!!!" Instantly the suspected thugs with the gold grills reflecting off the lights of Sonic, turned into old elementary school friends, and she ran over and started hugging them.
 
I intergected, "Don't get in the car!" as a last effort to be the adult, I guess.
 
She said, "Beth, I'm not going to get in the car."
 
The other girls finally returned, and we spent a lot of time laughing. I tried to show them a dance from The Flight of the Conchords, which also was shown to the people in the drive-thru line, but it's a fun dance, so I had to try.
 
Sometimes the weirdest thing happens when I try to dance in front of the girls (which is quite often, because where there are teenagers, there is music, and where there is music, there is dancing), I feel like I lose my skills. Throughout this past year, it's almost a given at YL that when the kids start dancing, and I try to join in, they give me "the look" and shake their heads from side to side, and then say, "Beth. No."
 
I feel completely like I just got off the movie, Hitched. Back in the day, I was a good dancer. I was a cheerleader in high school (class of '93-'nuff said), and still remember most of the eight counts to our "Can't Touch This" dance we learned at UCA cheerleading camp. But in these situations with the kids, I instantly turn into old white girl. It's a sobering feeling.
 
Phillipians 2:3
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
 
(I guess the verse above applies to dancing for me.) 


Keep your kids safer online with Windows Live Family Safety. Help protect your kids.


This entry was posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: