I don't know if other states are as proud of their shape as Texas. Before moving here, a friend at camp shared with me some nacho chips in the shape of Texas. I thought that was a little strange. After living here for several years, it seems completely normal.
 
I spent the weekend in Pearland and spent some time walking around a neighborhood. I noticed lots of ornamental lawn stones in the shape of Texas. Almost everybody has something "Texas" displayed on their property. So if I ever pass out and feel disoriented, I can wake up, check out the lawn, and instantly find a Texas marker..."Whew! Thought I might be in Kansas!" (And for the record, I am from KENTUCKY, not KANSAS--not a point of contention, but it comes up quite often when I tell people where I am from. The brain somehow interprets Kentucky as Kansas in approximately 75% of the people who ask me.)
 
I wonder if Texas is the most recognized state shape? Perhaps the shape of Colorado could be found everywhere, but then it is strikingly very similar to Wyoming, and let's face it, they're just rectangles. The shape of CO and WY are also the shape of my cereal box and my television--not a real challenge for shape recognition.
 
I guess Texas is kind of a square tilted on its tip with unique cuts made into it. I wouldn't put it passed the Texas state government to try to get the shape of Texas recognized as one of the major shaped to be learned in pre-K.
 
The longer I live here, the more I identify with the shape of Texas. When I see it, my heart flutters a little faster than when looking at a rectangle. I haven't reached the Texas pride level of buying lawn decor in the shape of Texas, but I wouldn't mind the chips or even having a couple of t-shirts.


Make every e-mail and IM count. Join the i'm Initiative from Microsoft.


This entry was posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    The Traveler said...

    "I like to picture my state in a tuxedo T-Shirt because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party." -- Cal Naughton, Jr.

    Does California look like a boomerang to anyone else? No? Just me?

  1. ... on 10:52 AM  
  2. AyDubb said...

    Beth, having had to correct people who ask if I Kansas State is my alma mater, I say go out and get a piece of stone shaped like a chicken leg (after all, isn't it where KFC is headquartered?) and write Kentucky on it. Yes. KY is shaped like a chicken leg.

  3. ... on 6:13 PM