I like sushi. The sushi experience is like gambling and Fear Factor all rolled into one (with a seaweed-wrap exterior). You never quite know which piece is going to make you physically or psychologically sick. It takes a brave person to eat sushi.

My favorite sushi is the Julie Crunch Roll at Sushi King. My friend, Kristin, likes the Julie Crunch Roll, too. We’ve spent a lot of time sharing the woes and hopes of the week over a tasty Julie Crunch Roll.

My friend, Lisa, and I have started hitting the Happy Hour sometimes at RA where they offer some pretty good deals on rolls until 7:00 p.m. And if you’re only there for sushi, and not to compete with the twentysomethings to pick up a date, it can be an enjoyable experience.

My friend, Erin, is one of my original sushi friends. She and our mutual friend, Ann, were some of the first people in H-town that I knew to be sushi-obsessed.

I believe there should be sushi belt levels like in Karate. If you can only eat California Rolls, you’re a white belt. The black belt sushi eater could intake sashimi, all types of fish eggs, and other things which would make the lower belts want to hurl. Erin and Ann are probably brown belts. I’m maybe a yellow (but that does not include the ability to eat yellow-tail sashimi, as of yet).

Word of warning to the ladies: Never eat sushi with a group of males. Especially if you’re splitting the bill. You will leave the place dishing out about $30 because guys order sushi like they would electronic equipment. Before you know it, the sushi is covering the table, and it’s being inhaled by the big boys, while you’re politely dipping your spicy tuna piece into your low-sodium soy sauce.

Also, Tapioca Express has some pretty reasonably priced sushi that is reasonably tasty, and I don’t think they have slime in the ice machine.

If you need a friend to sushi-it-up with you, and you're paying, please let me know.


This entry was posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 comments:

    Erin said...

    I am thrilled that I made the blog! And that we get to eat sushi together. Also I would like to note that I am like Mikey - I will pretty much eat anything - so start thinking of something that could earn me a black belt and I will eat it next time we go out to sushi together!!

  1. ... on 8:40 AM  
  2. Laurie said...

    The happy hour at RA is really good, and it starts at 8pm on Sundays, which is cool. I'll eat sushi with you...but I haven't graduated to sashimi yet.

  3. ... on 10:32 AM  
  4. Ulovebeth said...

    Ebay- Maybe eat one of those octopus things and then a roll with eggs all over it, and then you'd probably be black-belt ready.

    LJ- Sunday Happy Hour?! Who knew?

  5. ... on 10:42 AM  
  6. Alyssa said...

    We ate octopus in Indonesia. We all got ill. The gross kind of ill. Hopefully it won't be that way for you. Of course, we have FDA and all sorts of cleanliness laws. ;)

  7. ... on 12:15 PM  
  8. Erin said...

    I know I have eaten a roll with eggs all over it before, but I will happily eat another one with you. And I am looking forward to the octopus adventure! Hopefully I don't get sick, but I didn't even get sick when I ate fresh fruit off the vines in South America (where I wasn't supposed to be eating fruit or drinking the water), so I think my chances are pretty good...

  9. ... on 12:47 PM  
  10. Ulovebeth said...

    I don't know if I can stomach watching you eat it! I might have to decrease my belt level. I can't even eat the soft shell crab.

    So, you've got the stomach of steel, how 'bout the abs?! :)

  11. ... on 1:32 PM