In the Texas Med Center, smoking has been outlawed. There are signs posted all over that state “NO SMOKING.” And around those signs are groups of people smoking. It’s a picture of irony.

Today I passed a three-generation family of smokers: grandson smoking, daughter smoking, and Grammy in her wheelchair and hospital gown puffing away. I passed a total of about 20 smokers during my walk from one end of the campus to the other—everyone from patients to construction workers. I try to hold my breath when I pass, but sometimes I turn blue before I passed all the smokers.

Recently, I decided to stop this breath-holding charade and just become a second-hand smoker. As a child, my dad smoked three packs a day, and through college, I cut out my unconscious second-hand habit. As a second-hand smoker, I get some benefits of the contact experience; I don’t have to pay high-dollar for tobacco; I get the health problems; and that great smoky-hair smell. What could be better?


This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Alyssa said...

    Yeck! You could become proactive. :) "Excuse me, ma'am. Let me read this nearby sign for you..." or something similar. I can see it now! Beth taking on the med center! :)

  1. ... on 11:50 AM  
  2. Ulovebeth said...

    Sometimes I just feel really bad for the people. Some of them could be dying, so why not let them enjoy their smoke? But on the other hand, it could promote my own death. I guess all humans know the good that they ought to do, but they just seem to keep doing the thing they shouldn't be doing. Wait? Am I am human? Oh, great, I am.

  3. ... on 12:31 PM