I was so gung ho on this food journal thing that I'm sending my sister to evaluate after I watched the Dr. Oz program on The Discovery Channel. I want to lose a few pounds so I can be lean and mean. I want my heart to be able to pump blood through unclogged veins. But I also really wanted to eat richly on my company’s tab during the conference last week in the Big D. So as I enjoyed all that great food I kept thinking, "Oh great. Gotta put this on the list!" Food journaling is like keep track of debits or something.

I felt very much like a traveling businesswoman last week(which being an ex-teacher has been a completely foreign idea in the past). I got to stay at a fancy schmany hotel. And eat lots of rich food. I was successful in avoiding sweets, but it was hard. I had to sneak and steal the berry garnish on the dessert platter one time to calm the sweet beast inside of me.

One of the hardest things to avoid has been Starbucks. I don’t often get a sweet treat from there (mainly just drink the tea), but on trips, Starbucks establishments seem to be everywhere and they all seem to offer the sameness of being in familiar surroundings like a place-near-home-away-from-home. It’s comforting. And to ignore that comfort was difficult. But when I really and truly thought about it, the first few sips might make me pretty happy, but when the shakes from caffeine and the sugar low hit, I always regret my choice.

In a twist of fate, I received a Starbucks giftcard today, so God must be telling me to keep Starbucks as an active part of my life. Or I could use it to buy a CD. Or a cool mug. We’ll see. Maybe I’ll use it to take you out for a treat.

Ode to Starbucks

Starbucks
Your very name conjures up feelings
Of shining in the sky and spending
I visit you on chilly nights
Starbucks makes me feel alright
I give a shout out to baristas
Just like to my brothas and sistas
Then after my first name is called
Fight for a seat with a man that’s bald
The evil eye does just the trick
I snuggle in the cushion nice and thick
A subtle hot sweet sip hits my lips
My mind cannot dare to forget
The sweet place to be together and alone
Starbucks
Mine, yours, ours: home away from home.


This entry was posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Daniel said...

    In a twist of fate, I received a Starbucks giftcard today, so God must be telling me to keep Starbucks as an active part of my life.

    God? I thought temptation was someone else's department? Wasn't there something or other in Luke on the topic?---Ah, yes: XI.4) μὴ εἰσενέγκῃς ἡμᾶς εἰς πειρασμόν, ἀλλὰ ῥῦσαι ἡμᾶς ἀπὸ τοῦ Στάρβυκτος. "Lead us not into temptation, and deliver us from Starbucks." ;)

  1. ... on 11:52 PM  
  2. Ulovebeth said...

    Please please say it isn't so!

  3. ... on 9:35 AM