This weekend, I was blessed with a visit to the woods. I had so many blessings over this weekend, including some new friends.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, to discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and to be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion.
Walden or Life in the Woods
- Henry David Thoreau (1817 – 1862)


Friday night, the stars were absolutely spectacular. I could see every dimple in Orion’s cloak. I was in awe. When I see Orion, I keep thinking about how it’s mentioned in the Bible and I feel like I am staring up at something so ancient and see such a glimpse of God that overwhelms me it makes my heart shudder with awe.

Job 9: 7-9
He speaks to the sun and it does not shine;
he seals off the light of the stars.
He alone stretches out the heavens
and treads on the waves of the sea.
He is the Maker of the Bear and Orion,
the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.


This entry was posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: