I was enjoying my cinnamon dolce latte (light whip and non-fat) when Jesus showed up. Before I realized he was there, I was captivated by the music. I heard a really cool French song that I can never figure out the name to, and then I heard Mambo Italiana. I love that song! It makes me want to mambo.

Then, I overheard the group of three next to me say, “Do you see G?” They kept saying it to one another, and they were laughing. Then I realized they were actually saying, “Do you see Jesus?” And they kept looking out the window. I looked hard at the window. And then I saw Jesus! He’s been there for a long time and I never noticed him. He’s huge, standing with open arms at the hospital.

Another couple near me was having a conversation. They met each other to study (or that’s what I originally thought), but their conversation was not about any subject except about Jesus.

This is what I heard (paraphrased):

Her: My mom didn’t say I needed to go to church, but we went sometimes.
Him: What made you want to get interested in religion?
Her: I don’t know. As you get older, you start to wonder…


Immediately, I’m interested. The conversation continues:

Him: I started going to a church because I wanted to be a better person—which might have been selfishly motivating at first…God loves me. He has a plan for my life. No one is perfect. I thought, “That makes sense.” Sin separates me from God. I thought, “Hmmm…that makes sense, too.” Jesus is the only one who can fill that separation. I’m an engineer, and there’s a gap. Two plus two is four. And Jesus closes the gap. Makes sense.”…I had a friend that was a Christian and wasn’t super outspoken about her faith, but her character was different…

I prayed for him and her. And for the Holy Spirit to be there in Starbucks. I prayed that she could see Jesus. From the angle where I was sitting, Jesus was standing right over her shoulder with open arms! I could see it. I see it. I know it. Can she see him? I pray so.


This entry was posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Erin said...

    What a cool conversation to overhear! I guess you were at "Spiritual Starbucks?" (Usually that means Uptown Park but in your case, I guess it doesn't matter which one you were actually at). I am really proud of you for praying for her. :-)

  1. ... on 5:04 PM