My dear friend, Kristin, experienced a huge loss on Saturday. Her friend, Volkan, died because injuries from a car accident on Friday morning. Volkan was from Turkey and a student at the community college. Kristin became his friend in her math class.

I had never met Volkan until I saw him in the Neuro Trauma ICU with a ventilator supporting his breathing as he slept in a coma. He had been around various activites with my friends, but I missed out on meeting him at those times. Despite the circumstances of our meeting, it was a precious honor to be with him and pray for him and take turns with some other friends as we stood by his side—to kind of stand in the gap for his family. One of his family members called and asked if he was getting the best care, and if anyone was with him. I assured him that there were always two of us by his side.

He was 26. And handsome. And from the stories I’ve heard, he loved life and people immensely. Please pray for his parents in Turkey and all the people who loved him. May God use this heartache for His glory. And if you see Kristin, please give her a hug. It kind of seems pretty unreal that the experience happened.


This entry was posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: