I volunteer with Urban Young Life. It can be quite an adventure. Because I'm no longer a teacher, Young Life helps me to stay connected with teens. And because the premise of it is being a Christian organization, I can begin the relationship letting them know I love Jesus without having to speak his name in code inside a school building. [i.e. "I know you're having a hard day today, but the man upstairs sees you and knows about it."]

On a self-centered note, being around high schoolers helps me to feel connected to a younger generation which helps me to know what is cool and uncool in pop-culture. (or krunk and not krunk--or tight and not tight--whatever the going phrase is at the moment) I get to learn new dance moves that I can't do. I get to learn about new video games that I never can win. And I get to see new fashions that would look horrible on me. All of those things because I am not a teen, but it's nice to be in the know. I am also forever grateful for my eyes being opened to the wonders of text messaging.

On a deeper note, these teens have become dear friends. I pray for them and their families. I cheer (or boo) their relationships. It's such a blessing to be included in their lives and to see them get to know Christ. And sometimes it can be hard to see them struggle through life situations, but it's a blessing to be there to offer hope.

Some of my favorite times are hearing their perceptions of stories from the bible. We've been studying the book of Esther with the girls. One night, we were learning about how King Xerxes said Esther could have up to half his kingdom if she wanted. And then one girl said, "Pre-nup!" It kind of shocked the other leader and me...and then we realized it was hilarious.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 08, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: