I'm hopefully planting some flowers this weekend. My mom gave me some cold, hard cash for my birthday (thank goodness the Post Office didn't catch it!), and now I can parade around the nursery and pick up whatever plants tickle my fancy.

I have an small back patio that could stand a bit more landscaping, and I have a small 3x4 area that is my front "yard." It also contains a banana tree. I don't like the banana tree. I like all trees, but this banana tree drives me crazy. It keeps growing mini-mees of itself.

Being a Kentucky girl, the whole concept of a banana tree in my 3x4 yard that doesn't grow bananas is really bizarre. So like most intolerant people, I must get rid of it so my garden can grow with familiarity.

Alright! I'm not that cruel! I am planning on leaving one of the 5 ft minis, but the 15 ft papa is getting chopped. I suppose it might be odd to buy a chainsaw for my 3x4yard, but I need some something with power. That banana tree is coming down! Tim-berrrr!

The other day I saw one of my neighbor's little girl's toys laying out on the carport. It made me start thinking about when I was a little girl and how I played outside.

I loved playing in our yard. We had a very large yard (with no fence), and I loved it. I would sit on the front porch and watch cars go by. I would perform my gymnatic routines on the railroad tiles that separated our gravel driveway from the grass, and afterwards, I would search for worms and rolly-poly bugs. I would practice hula-hooping, climb our apple tree, collect pine cones, do cartwheels, played whiffle ball, play king of the mountain on the old tree stump, walk on the moss barefoot...I did so much amazing stuff out in my yard. I don't know if they really make yards like that in the center of Houston.

There's a lot to be said for a great yard. It's like a whole outdoor gymnasium of fantasticness.

But being a swinging single, my 3x4 yard is a good starting point for maintenance. Maybe in place of that banana tree, I can put an apple tree, for old time's sake.


This entry was posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

    Me said...

    I don't know Beth - if I were you, I'd get rid of the Papa Banana tree and the mini-me! Roaches love banana trees since they have an ample supply of water and sugary nutrition. When I found that out as a kid, my brother and I went to town and cut down all of the banana trees that the previous owners had planted around our house (with my parents' blessing - Dad had already tried to get rid of them, but they kept coming back! Guess my brother's Fisher Price saw (which had a real metal blade back then) was the answer since they never came back after that!).

  1. ... on 9:32 AM  
  2. Ulovebeth said...

    AUGHH!!! Are you serious?! Roaches love them?? One night, I tried pulling off a dead leaf, and I thought something tried to attach me. I bet it was a roach.
    You have sealed the deal. The banana tree and its minis are going down!!
    I just need a saw...

  3. ... on 9:44 AM  
  4. Me said...

    I don't think Brian has his Fisher Price saw anymore, but I bet Home Depot will let you buy a big-girl saw! :)

    And yes, every time I see a banana tree in someone's yard, I think "You just must not know that you are setting up a fancy roach hotel right there!" EWWWWWWW!

  5. ... on 10:10 AM  
  6. Unknown said...

    Did you know that a banana tree only produces one 4-foot stack of bananas in it's lifetime? Also, that spiders like to live in them? A lot? Ask me how I know. :)

  7. ... on 11:17 AM  
  8. Ulovebeth said...

    I need to figure out what kind of protective gear I need to get to chop that thing down!

  9. ... on 3:17 PM