I guess since everyone else is on the bandwagon, I'll get on it, too, and share some tips for Happy Tree Living.

1) Recycle. It's not too hard, but make sure you have a plan in place so you know what to do with all your recycling--because it will build up quickly!

2) You know you've reached true-recycler's status when you get recycler's guilt from throwing away a recyclable item. Learning some basic facts about landfills helps to increase this guilt.

3) Act like your grandparents and reuse things. My granny had a whole set of make-shift Tupperwear from old Country Crock containers. I follow suit and try to keep plastic take-out containers. Some can even survive the dishwasher!

4) Do your own divvying. Do you know how much packaging waste is used in single servings of this and that? It is possible to make your own 100 calories snack samples. We need to stop promoting single-serves of everything. It won't help the economy, but it will help the landfill.

5) Don't throw trash on the ground, but if someone did before you, pick it up. I love being in Texas even if it's only because I get to see the slogan "Don't Mess with Texas" more. Littering is not cool. I almost ran down a guy to make a citizens arrest during the Hurricane Rita evacuation for tossing a fastfood cup out of his window. (In cases like this, I am really saying, "Citizens arrest! Citizens arrest!" in my car.) I thought we all got the "Keep America Beautiful" message early on--but apparently not. My students used to drive me nuts by leaving their trash everywhere. For goodness sakes, pick up the trash--even if it's not yours!

And remember, the golden rule for Earth Day stolen from the critically acclaimed movie HSM3: "We're all in this together."

I promise my goal was not to get that song stuck in your head. If it's not stuck in your head, congratulations for passing my over-media-ed test!
Keep those trees happy and green (and brown)!


This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Unknown said...

    I always think about the crying Indian in front of all the garbage when I take my trash out to the curb. The pile is always smaller now.

  1. ... on 11:45 AM  
  2. Ulovebeth said...

    HA!

  3. ... on 4:24 PM