A few years ago, I completed a 5K. Before that, my running skills were pretty subpar. I had ran three miles only one other time in my life. Distance running never appealed to me--too much sweating was involved.

Since then, somehow 5Ks have become a part of my life. So far, my 5Ks include: two Susan Komens, one Aidsudan, and one that was supposed to be a swim, but it got cancelled, so I had to run.

I don't like making myself go for runs. I do like the beginning of a run and the very end. It's just the agony that's sandwiched in between that's the hard part.

I guess I can qualify as a part-time runner. I don't run all the time, but I am capable of doing a loop around the park. From my experience as I part-time runner, I know that one of the best things about running in a city is being able to people watch.

Not all of the people on the running trail are superfit. Sometimes when I'm with friends, someone will pass up by kicking up dust and they'll be wearing a mini outfit with abs and buns of steel, and we say, "One day. That will be us." Other times, people will be running that take me back to the video I watched during CPR training, and I'm scared I'll have to use the skills I learned back then. Basically, I've learned that running can be just as much of a mental challenge as it is a physical challenge.

I bought some new running shoes on Sunday which were $150. I totally thought they were $100 (and I had a $50 gift card) which I though was a lot. The gift card I had helped, but I really wish I could have bought some new slingbacks instead. I'm hoping these super shoes will lead me to victory in my upcoming 5K this Saturday.

Last year at this 5K, I won first place in my age group. I have a plaque and everything. This year, my strongest competitor is a dear friend of mine. She just turned 30 this year and has a few marathons under her belt. But with those shoes, I'm pretty sure I can take her and hold on to my title.


This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 21, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: