My youngest niece is celebrating her 8th birthday today at an indoor lodge/waterpark. Her friend told her it was the best time of her life, so the expectations are high.

When I was getting all the details from my sister yesterday, I asked my sister if Emily could swim.

She said, "Well, she does her best."

So being the concerned aunt I am I said, "Can she float?"

She replied, "I've caught her in the bathtub floating before. Face down. It really freaked me out, but she was just practicing."

"What?! Face down?"

"Beth, you've forgotten what's its like to be a 7 or 8 year old. They look at things a little differently."

Maybe I have changed in the last few years since I was 8. It's been years since I've tried floating in the bathtub. I forget the wonder of children and their amazing imaginations.

Happy Big 8, Emily!


This entry was posted on Friday, April 10, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: