When I first moved to Houston, the rodeo kind of confused me. For starters, it seemed odd having the cows come to the city. Then, the people of Houston suddenly all morphed into cowboys. It was very bizarre watching all the city slickers turn into cowboys complete with boots and hats. It reminded me of the kids from the subdivision in Beaver Dam that would jump in mud puddles to get their workboots dirty so they could look authentic.

I didn't like the rodeo. I hated the extreme crowds--mainly because of the parking issues. I didn't get the concept of walking around munching on a turkey leg. The first time I saw the calf scramble (a rodeo tradition where teens chase calves around trying to catch them) I got scared to death, because a man assisting got knocked down and out by a runaway calf and needed medical assistance. The whole experience was very stressful, so I avoided the rodeo for a few years.

Then something very unusual happened...somehow, I became romanced by the rodeo. Perhaps the free tickets and parking passes had something to do with it, or my introduction to the fried twinkie, but whatever the case, now I am a convert.

I've already got one rodeo event lined up, and I'm hoping to somehow get to see Brad Paisley or Keith Urban, too. And this year there is a new event where toddlers ride sheep. What could be better?! I also have cowboy boots to wear, so I, too, can follow the herd in cowboy regalia.

YEE-HAW!


This entry was posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: