Way back when I was a little girl, I used to dress up in a homemade costume of random things found around the house, grabbed my plastic pumpkin, and headed out around the neighborhood to collect candy. There was one strange man, that we were told to be careful around, and he would just hand out nickels, and not candy. And then there were a few houses that quickly became famous as they handed out some really good candy, and not just super bubble or that orange and black wrappered peanut butter chewy stuff.

Now, since we’re all scared of one another, we don’t trick-or-treat. Kids are scared of adults. Adults are scared of kids. But we’re buying more decorations than ever for our homes, and we’re still buying bags of candy, but then we’re hiding inside with the lights off. We’re all very confused.

Last night, I bought candy, and set out a lighted pumpkin (okay, it was a plug-in) as bait. Hours passed. Finally, a family with seven kids whose only English was “trick-or-treat” came to my door. The girls were cheerleaders with “USA” emblazoned on their chest. The boys were Batman and cowboys. These people have embraced American tradition, but maybe a little too late.

It’s always really fun to see little kids dressed up and to see their faces light up when you give them candy. If I were running for President, my platform might be community unity. And it would start with Halloween trick-or-treating in neighborhoods.

Do you know your neighbors? Twenty years ago did you know them?

Sometimes it’s just really strange to me that in the town of 100 where I grew up, I knew everyone’s name, and had been in most of their homes. And now, in a town of 4 million, I know the first names of the neighbors on the right and the left, but that’s it. And I’ve only peered in their garages.


This entry was posted on Thursday, November 01, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Me said...

    I don't know my neighbors like I did in the neighborhood where I grew up. But then again, I lived there for about 16 years and I've only lived in my new house for less than one year. But my neighbors in this neighborhood don't seem quite as friendly as my previous neighborhood - maybe something about it being a newer neighborhood. But we sure did have trick-or-treaters! I finally blew out the pumpkins and turned out the porch light at 8:40 because the candy bowl was almost dry and I was tired of getting up!

  1. ... on 1:04 PM  
  2. Ulovebeth said...

    Maybe it's just the inner-loopers who are struggling with lack of trick-or-treaters. ;)

    Where in the world did the kids come from?

  3. ... on 2:42 PM