I just joined a new club. It’s called Goodreads. I rate books I read and then keep them on my list.

I don’t read much anymore which is sad. I believe not reading keeps our brains from growing. That might be why God put his word into a book form. Reading really is food for our brain. And God’s word is food for the brain—and the soul.

Every month, I am faithful to read my copy of InStyle magazine, but I have difficulty settling into books as an adult. As a child, I was so much of an avid reader, my mother encouraged me to stop reading as much.

I joined Goodreads at the request of my far-away-friend Liz, even though I feel my current level of reading is sub par. I would probably do better at Goodfeeds—which could be a restaurant reviewing system.

I also developed a bad habit in high school of skimming books. I would read the beginning, middle, and end. Life is just too uncertain to not read ahead on the endings. (This works for most books--except for the Bible--which in doing this could scare the h-e-double-hockey-sticks out of you.)

A friend of mine likes to get people on his book bandwagon which I gladly joined, because I thought he was cool--and I thought those books would let some of his cool philosophies rub off on me. Through his bookclub, I read Blue Like Jazz, The Irresistible Revolution, and I'm supposed to read The Long Loneliness--but in the middle of that I started dating someone who had me reading other books, and you can't two time book clubs very easily. I'm trying to find books now that aren't just to impress people, but are things that I really want to read.

I even have a bookclub that meets at La Madeliene, but I've never been.

It's sometimes difficult to do all the things I should do as a single woman: workout, read books, develop cooking skills, eat out, volunteer, and bring home the bacon. But I manage.


This entry was posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Erin said...

    I know what you mean! I have so many books on my shelf that I "should" read but when I start to read them I can't get into them. I think part of it is that I don't have a big enough block of time to get focused, between workouts, cooking, and all those other activities you mentioned that take up so much of our time. And, part of it is that I am just not as interested in the subjects as I apparently should be.

  1. ... on 2:05 PM  
  2. Alyssa said...

    I pretty much just read fiction. Much easier to get into when there is a plot! :)

  3. ... on 12:40 PM