Every year, I try to add more fruits and veggies into my diet. I know that eating those magical foods is a great way to fight disease and cancer. So, why is it so hard for me to eat them?

Adding fruit to my diet has been pretty easy. I just have to make sure I take a weekly trip to the grocery store to stock up on apples, grapes, or berries (depending how much money is allowed in my food budget), but those veggies are a different story. Some days as I evaluate my food intake of the day, I try to bargain with myself that the salsa I ate counts for a vegetable serving.

Salad is such a cop-out for a solution because a) lettuce is for rabbits and possesses little nutritional value and b) by the time I doctor it up enough where I can stomach eating it, the salad has gained 50 fat grams and 900 calories.

My only good solution for eating more veggies has been making myself eat at home more. It also helps me in my personal training to be a housewife—and more importantly—a grandma.

Perhaps I’m a late bloomer at 32, but I think I still have time to develop some Jedi-like cooking skills like my Grandmother Richards possessed. “Use the fork, Beth...Never underestimate the power of the fork…” She could whip up some mean homemade buttermilk biscuits. And add a little hot chocolate gravy on top with a dab of butter, and your grandchildren are in complete bliss. This is after they’ve had servings of fruit and veggies, of course.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

    Laurie said...

    Did you say "hot chocolate gravy"? Please explain.

  1. ... on 3:05 PM  
  2. Alyssa said...

    I was just thinking the same thing!

  3. ... on 3:12 PM  
  4. Ulovebeth said...

    It's Grandmother Richards' secret formula. My dad used to try to make it, but it wasn't quite the same.
    My Uncle Charles gave me his version, which I have written down at home. It's Hershey's cocoa with a little flour, a little water, about 1/2 cup of sugar, bring it to a boil. And then just keep it hot. It's so delicious--you don't even know.

  5. ... on 4:00 PM