I'm trying to revamp my closet. I tried to steal some ideas about belting and layering from my latest J.Crew catalog. I think I may have some ideas in place. But sometimes if you try to copy what is in a magazine, things can go a bit awry.

When I was in high school, I used to get the fall edition of Seventeen magazine and study the pages very carefully. I would try to shop for items that looked like what the models were wearing, and then I would put together my outfits.

My junior year, I came to school wearing a white Hanes t-shirt with the word "brain" very carefully sketched out with a Sharpie marker just like in the magazine. My friend, Tay, who is now a stylist to the stars, was one of my top teasers. He came to school soon after wearing a shirt that said, "potato." I can't remember if he used the Dan Quayle spelling or the traditional spelling.

The "brain" shirt kind of became a legend. I believe I tried to make some variations of it myself, but none could ever equal the popularity of the "brain" shirt.

No worries--my new outfits will consist mostly of belts, not Sharpied shirts.


This entry was posted on Thursday, October 22, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: