He was part of all of our memories. These are some of mine. I wasn't such a huge fan, but his songs are still playing in my mind, and I still wish I could move like that.

Dear Mikey:
I remember you. I will always remember you. You were part of my life. You had already had a very illustrious career by the time I arrived into the world, so when I first paid attention to you, you were solo without your brothers.

I bought a folder to hold my worksheets that had a big picture of you on the outside. You were propped up on your elbow and had on a white shirt with a yellow sweater vest. I think you had your glove on, too.

Joey Jordan, a kid in my class, had a red jacket just like yours with all the zippers. He was kind of annoying, but that boosted his cool points.

For my 7th birthday, Krystal, who always had a flare for style, got me a velcro wallet with your picture on it. I used it to keep notes that were folded very carefully into strange origami-like structure that usually had a small triangle tab that said, "pull." I still have it in storage somewhere. I won't sell it on eBay, because it's too special.

I remember watching your video of "Billie Jean" (despite the fact the song confused me) where the squares would light up on the floor. You were an amazing dancer. For the rest of my life, I've tried in vain to imitate your moves. I spent many evenings on our linolium covered kitchen floor trying to get my feet to slide into the moonwalk. I also tried that thing where you popped up onto your toes. I could do it wearing Chuck Taylors when I got older. I would still love to master the dance from the "Beat It" video.

Later, after I watched the premier of your "Thriller" video (my memory could be failing me, but I believe it was on CBS because we didn't have MTV), I tried immitating the dance. The shimmy with the clap was my favorite thing. I'm not gonna lie, that video was really scary. And the laugh at the end of the song was just creepy.

I loved your Pepsi commericials. I am so sorry about your hair burning. I liked it that you were back with your brothers. It was always exciting to see that commericial, because I tried to figure out what caused your hair to burn.

The first time I saw your Black or White video, I was at Kari's house. It was mesmerizing. You never made a bad video--except of course, for the one entitled, "Bad."

When I was many years older, I worked as a camp counselor. We would perform a musical play for the campers on their first night of camp (didn't know this when I signed up). One year, I got to play the role where I sang your songs (but we altered the words to fit our camp). It's really hard to sing like you. Especially with your early year songs.

I know you had some difficult years--in childhood and adulthood. You had a big impact on the world, but I fear the impact hurt you in ways that no one can fathom. I'm so sorry for the way the world swallowed you and chewed on you. It was obvious from your physical appearance and your actions that your were hurting and very confused. I pray for protection for your family while they mourn your death.

Thanks for the songs and for being a part of my memories. I will sing your songs to my children (except for "Billie Jean" and "Bad") and teach them your dances. Hopefully, they will be more gifted dancers than me.

love,
Beth


This entry was posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: