I try to pretend I'm not into trends. In high school, our halls were filled with so many leather bomber jackets after Christmas of 1991 that it looked like an entire herd of brown cattle had entered the halls between classes.

I held out, and never got a leather bomber jacket. I knew that it was a trend. The price of the jacket versus the wear I would get out of it didn't seem to balance very well. Years later, I am not sad about not owning a brown leather bomber jacket.

Now, it seems that more than clothing fads, we've become a nation of tech fads. The new iPhone has just been introduced, and it's pretty much just the old iPhone with a few more bells and whistles. But everybody has the urge to buy it.

Apple does a great job of luring us. It is kind of ironic that its symbol is a bite out of the apple which is also a symbol of the fall of man. With apple products, we all need one more bite to obtain a little bit more knowledge...

Hmmmm...

I've pretty much spooked myself out now with those thoughts, so my next statements are going to sound very hypocritical for such a strong argument behind avoiding apples and the fall of man, but I might get an iPhone.

Currently, I have a Palm, and my co-worker, who has new-apple-product-disesase (NAPD), wants to get the new iPhone, so he might sell me his old one to help go toward the price of the new phone.

I like my little Palm just fine. I like the little keyboard. I can drop it, and it still lives. And I like it's Sudoku game and Solitaire. But I know the iPhone would be shiny and slick and could serve multiple functions...I don't know. It might sounds silly, but I'm going to pray about it. I don't feel as tempted by it, so therefore, I think I could own it without making it my little god. But I need to check with the mighty God first.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, June 10, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Erin said...

    Very interesting observation about the apple bite... very interesting indeed...

  1. ... on 1:50 PM