I almost got a dog today. I wandered into an adoption center, and found the perfect, shaggy mutt. He was the perfect size. The attendant let me walk him around and let me take him in a back area to bond. There were several other groups of people in the back as well with their would-be dogs. It was kind of like speed dating with dogs.

Bucky or Buddy or whatever-his-name-would-be and I tried to play a game of sit. I would ask him to sit, and then give him a treat. The volunteer who introduced me to him could have him sit, but everytime I tried, nothing happened. She kept saying that if he became my dog, maybe we could attend an obedience class together. She was making me feel like we need couple's therapy before we were even a couple. I got Bucky/Buddy to sit once, but he also scratched me a bit on the arm. I tried, but I didn't feel a connection with Bucky/Buddy. We just didn't have chemistry.

There were two other dogs that I liked, but I couldn't figure out if their pitiful little faces were from disease, or if they really just had the puppy-dog-eyed look.

I left the dog adoption and spent the money I would have spent on a dog on items at Target. The timing isn't right quite yet, but maybe someday soon, I'll be ready to be an ODO (official dog owner). For today, I just have a new lamp from Target and a dog scratch.


This entry was posted on Sunday, February 15, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: