My mom is a flower genius. She can name all sorts of types of plants and knows what climate they grow best in, and if the plant is a perrenial or annual. I can identify colors of plants, and can tell you the difference between a rose and a tulip--and that's about it.

Last week, my mom helped me green-up my back patio which was pretty much Dirt Land. For $20, I added a nice selection of pansies and snapdragons (?) and something called Creeping Jenny (what a weird name--and horrible for anyone named Jenny). Over the last several mornings since my mom is still in town, I've been receiving a morning report from my mom while I'm at work. Here's how the report sounds:

"Beth, this is your mother. I have bad news for you."

"What happened?"

"Well, more plants have been eaten. Whatever it is back there, it's having a good time eating all your plants!"


So, little by little, every bloom has been injested by something. It's even eating my Creeping Jenny. It's almost like some animal gang is mad at me for trying to better its hood so its taking out revenge on me and my plants.

Last night, I added some moth balls to the area to deter the vermit. But, I received another bad report from my mom again this morning.

My mom suggested a sure-cure from Kentucky, but I think it might get us arrested. City folks might contact PETA.

I miss my blooms. Over the weekend, I might keep watch over the patio and try to trap my critter. Hopefully, it'll be a possum and mom and I can have a nice stew.


This entry was posted on Thursday, February 05, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Erin said...

    We have the same problem. At my house, it's squirrels - they tear up the plants, eat the roots, and whatever else they can come up with to ruin things. My last attempt was an aloe vera that ended up dismembered several times before I finally gave up. That was several years ago. Stinkers!

  1. ... on 2:18 PM