I had the privilege to visit Kenya in October of 2006. I very clearly remember the people I met because I have their faces not only imprinted in my mind, but in my heart.
 
One of the people I met was Nduku. She was a beautiful mother of three giggling pre-teen girls. Nduku's life (and the girls) had been severely affected by the life and suicide of her husband. He found out he was ill, so I'm assuming from hopelessness, ended his life. Nduku was left also with an incurable disease, and three girls to raise.
 
We were blessed with visiting her in the village she lived in. We sat in her tiny living room on hard chairs and a couch, and she squated on a tiny stool. She spoke in the tribe's language to express her thankfulness to God and to us for visiting her. She said, "I feel like God has remembered me."  Tears flowed from my eyes (and everyone in the group), because I think that every person on earth can relate in some way. It was such an amazing feeling getting to be one of God's messengers of hope and offer some relief to her financial burden for her family.
 
I wrote her name in my bible, and prayed for her. I thought of her quite often. Especially when I read Psalms. There's extreme anguish in some of the Psalms, and I imagined that there were prayers that Nduku could have prayed/did pray. Her life made the words come to life for me. I'd get reports on her from time to time, some that she was more ill, and some that she had good days.
 
I found out last week that Nduku passed away. My heart has been sad. I feel sad that she lived with disease, and I'm sad that her daughters don't have a dad or a mom. And I also feel very blessed to have been able to meet a woman in a village way far away that touched my heart so deeply.
 
I've made a commitment in my heart to do my best to help them financially. I might have a small dinner soon as a fundraiser. Or who knows. We'll see how God leads.
 
Please pray for her three girls. And visit the beautiful country of Kenya when you get the chance. :)


With Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you. Connect on the go.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: