I had a great college experience. It wasn’t because I joined a cool sorority, or learned how to funnel, but because I met people my age that loved Jesus—and were also goofy like me.

I attended the same college that my brother and sister attended, and planned on following in their footsteps of being active in Campus Crusade. I did attend CC and loved the people there, but also visited an organization that my brother described as “a bunch of fat girls playing volleyball.” (My brother has repented of this saying since, so please do not be offended.) My friend from home, Micheline, invited me to come with her to the BSU (Baptist Student Union). Even though my brother had said it wasn’t cool back in the heyday when he was there, I decided to check it out. The first night there, I was hooked.

What I found was amazing friendships, a huge group of friends with a mutual hunger for knowledge of God and his grace and love, and lots and lots of laughter. With almost every friend I had in college, I have some type of connection with through BSU. Originally I had worried about attending my alma mater, because it was viewed as a party school. I did party a lot, but not in the typical college way. Perhaps it was the geeky way to party, but I still remember it today, and it blesses my heart (and makes me crack up) to this day. Probably the biggest blessing was learning the joy of serving God (even when it makes you uncomfortable, e.g. using puppets).

I just found some of my old peeps via cyberspace, and I’m so excited. It’s so amazing to see that God is still moving through their lives. God has blessed them with everything from ministries, to spouses, to children, to new friendships…I feel so blessed to have these people be part of what helped shaped me into who I am today.

Some random memories for me & any other WKU-er BSU-ers out there that keep popping up that I will throw out like a college word memory soup:

Vision, Scooter, The Herald, NixB stories, chia pets, Dr. Love, D-groups, Grounded, Ernie’s bang, “I’m crazy about you,” Rick singing “Basics of Life,” Lundy x3, Pete jumping people, puppets, interpretive movements (oh dear), Danny as an asset, Pine Ridge, Amy Trimble, climbing the hill, the General Lee & the Omni, the cabin in the middle of campus, Zaxby’s, the Crackhouse, the BSU-ites.


This entry was posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Oh my gosh! I can remember some of those things that you wrote about remembering. I am a little disappointed that you didn't remember anything about me, Beth! I cracked up with Rick singing the "Basics of Life" ("We need to get back. The basics of life."). Why was that dumb cabin there anyway?

  1. ... on 9:02 PM  
  2. Susan Kerr Jenkins said...

    Oh my!! I just now saw this, Beth!! How funny and what memories that brings back!! "The Basics of Life!!" Ha, that was the big song then and Rick did up right!! Oh, I would love to get together and see everyone!!

  3. ... on 7:30 PM